Friday 8 February 2013

Q is for Queer.

"Not queer like gay. Queer like, escaping definition. Queer like some sort of fluidity and limitlessness at once. Queer like a freedom too strange to be conquered. Queer like the fearlessness to imagine what love can look like... and pursue it." (Brandon Wint) 

Taken from a Facebook post by the wonderful Maryam, I don't think I've ever found something that I feel explains my sexuality better than this quote. 

So maybe this means I am "coming out", as it were, as Queer. I have struggled with identifying my sexuality for a long time. I don't feel I am straight. I don't feel I am bisexual. So I didn't know what I was, I didn't know what 'group' I fitted into, I didn't know what box I should tick when filling out equality of opportunity forms. And so I didn't really do much about it.

But since becoming increasingly active in the student movement, I've found myself questioning it more and more. Surely, there has to be some other people who find the same problem in identifying as one or the other, surely I couldn't be the only one.. and now I know that I'm not. I now know a fair few people who identify as Queer. And I've had problems trying to explain what exactly 'Queer' is to people who aren't familiar with the concept of anything but LGBT. 

So I don't really know where I go from here. I have talked about this to one or two close friends, but for the most part, haven't really talked about it at all. So maybe now, now that I've found something that I feel I fit the description of perfectly, maybe now I will feel comfortable in finally 'identifying' myself as something. 

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment